Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hide In Plain Sight

I just finished up the book, "Hide In Plain Sight" by Marta Perry this morning.  What a sweet little book.  Here's the scoop:

The main character, Andrea is a financial expert (with a pain-in-the-butt of a boss, by the way) in a big city and comes home when one of her younger sister's was injured to help her and her grandmother turn her childhood home into a bed and breakfast called "The Three Sister's Inn."

Her home town is small and in Amish country, so it's strange when a string of  dangerous accidents  threaten her family.  Trusting was difficult for Andrea...even this tall, blonde, handsome, rescue hero, carpenter, who seemed, freaking awesome...was a struggle. (sheesh, what was her problem?) But her life, and her family, depended on her to find out the truth of what the heck was going on.

Dun, dun, dun... (que creepy mystery music). Ms. Perry has a great way of weaving a love story and a mystery.  Just when you think you have the bad person figured out, it changes. I love mysteries like that.

I love a good romance, and while they are usually predictable, this one is no different.  But who cares!  I love it when the guy gets the girl.  Muah, Muah. (As my 9 year old would say).

The Christian perspective was there too.  It was gentle, not overtly obvious.  The Amish friends knew the Lord...obviously.  The family and the love interest, Cal.  Andrea had slipped away and was trying to find her way back.  I wish it was brought more to the forefront though.

There was a third sister that was mentioned, but never included in the story.  She was kind of like the old cottage cheese in the back of the fridge, ignored and forgotten.  After all, it was "The Three Sister's Inn" not two sisters.  I wish Marta Perry would have expounded on her character.

I have downloaded a lot of free e-books and many of them have been ho-hum and full of typos and grammar issues...DESPERATE need of an editor and maybe some chocolate and coffee to liven the plot.  I know I needed some to keep me from banging my head on the table. However, this one was different.  I was pleasantly delighted at how Ms. Perry's prose made me flip the pages...well, swipe the pages...and wonder who would dare hurt this amazing family.  The jerk.

Try it.  You'll like it.

Four outta Five.


No comments:

Post a Comment